Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Knitting Goals for 2013

Friends of mine on Ravelry have been creating knitting goal lists for this year, which prompted me to do the same.  I've learned so much over the years, but there is always more a knitter can learn, do, and improve upon.  I encourage you to make a list of knitting goals for the year if you have not done so already. 

Here are my personal knitting goals for the year:

1.  Master brioche stitch.  A friend of mine, Elizabeth, was gifted a cowl for Christmas that was made using brioche stitches.  I'd only heard the word "brioche" used to talk about bread, never knitting.  My Carry Along KAL group on Ravelry voted the Metamorph Cowl as one of our knit alongs (KAL) for January.  This cowl is so beautiful and can be made in a variety of ways.  With Elizabeth's help, I started on it yesterday and I'm really enjoying how it is turning out so far.  Besides learning the stitch, I also have a goal of creating a video to post here for others to watch and learn how to do this stitch.  The YouTube videos I've watched so far were a bit fast for me and also showed Continental style knitting (I throw, so watching this style can be confusing for me).  

**NOTE:  When I post links to Ravelry, you may not be able to follow them without joining Ravelry.  Whether you knit, crochet, spin, dye, or needle felt, I highly recommend joining Ravelry.  It's free!**

2.  Do more color-work knitting.  It's been a few years since I've done anything using color work.  The Metamorph cowl I'm doing right now is done in the round using 2 colors, however, I'd like to do more fair isle projects.  Pinterest is filled with color work ideas, and I tend to talk myself out of doing them because they look so complicated.  I know, from past experience, that fair isle isn't that complicated.  I've made a hat and a couple of toys using the technique, and I loved how they turned out.  So this year, I would really like to explore color work more.
Selbu Modern Hat
Simon Snake II
My youngest nephew, Harrison, and Sheldon

3.  Master socks.  Some knitters love making socks, others think "Why bother!"  I've been on  the "Why bother!" side for too long.  It's not that I haven't made socks before, I have!  My very first pair was done two at a time using circular needles.  I still have that pair, but don't wear them much as they are too big for me.  (Maybe I need to add "swatch more" to this goal list!)  I also made a small pair for my nephew using circular needles.  This year, I want to be able to do a sock on double pointed needles (DPNs).  I want to make a pair that I'm proud to wear and have them fit my big feet well (I'm a size 9).  

4.  Knit a new sweater.  I haven't knit a sweater since I lived in France (2008-2009).  While living there, I knitted 3 sweaters, and, unfortunately, none of them fit me well today.  I would really like to make a cardigan sweater.  I don't have any particular patterns in mind at this time, but I've been looking through Ravelry to see what catches my eye and fits my stash.

Hourglass Sweater
On Deck Pullover


Buttony Cardigan

5.  STASH BUST and to use what I spin for my knitting.  As knitters, we tend to collect A LOT of yarn.  My stash continues to grow over the years, and I find that I end up with a lot of yarn that doesn't get made into pretty things.  I would like to organize my stash this year and maybe do some overdye projects with yarn I want to make different colors, give away things I don't want anymore, and knit up yarn that I've been holding on to for years.  I also want to knit up the yarn I spin so as not to continue adding to my stash.

That's good for now. I don't like to make overwhelming lists and that way, I can always add to it if I accomplish the above early  in the year.  

Have you made a goal list for your knits this year?  Feel free to share!  

No comments:

Post a Comment