Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Yarnie Gifts, Traveling, and Knitting Plans

Given the bitter, Arctic cold here in Ohio, I've been in hibernation mode this week.  Staying inside has given me some time to organize my fiber tools, to go through the items I received for Christmas, and to think ahead to my future knitting projects.  

My friend, Jessica, gave me such a fun, creative, and interesting gift that I unwrapped yesterday.  I received this ball of yarn, and peaking out of it, were little surprises that she had wrapped inside!  I had no idea what I would find by unwrapping this yarn ball, and I have to admit, there was a lot of "oohing!" and "giggling" as I unwound it.

The yarn is Knit One Crochet Too Seda Rustica, 70% silk and 30% baby llama.  OMG it's so soft!!!  It's also enough to make a pair of mittens.  Perfect!

As I unwound the yarn, items started popping out at me!  Candies, knitting items, tea bags, all sorts of goodies!  


It was quite amazing how many items she was able to fit into this ball of yarn!  
Candies, sheep ruler, lip balm, row counter, chocolate, teas, and stitch markers!

THANKS JESSICA!  Now to pick out which mitten pattern I want to make!  :)

While traveling to DC, I met up with Jessica and went to Looped Yarn Works.  It's a small yarn shop that was in walking distance from one of the conference hotels.  They did have space for knitters to sit, which was nice, and they had quite a selection of yarns from all over!  I couldn't pass up buying some new yarns and needles while there.  

I bought two skeins of The Fibre Company Road to China Silken Jewels yarn. 65% Bay Alpaca, 15% Silk, 10% Camel, and 10% Cashmere.  SUPER SOFT and lovely!  I think these two are also going to become a pair of mittens.


I needed some longer size 5 needles while on our trip, so I thought I would try some Knitter's Pride Karbonz circulars.  At first, I thought they were really weird to knit with, and I regretted spending $15 on it.  After knitting for a while, though, I changed my mind, got use to them, and now I'm really enjoying them!  


While on our trip, I started a new shawl.  It's my very first Stephen West pattern called "Pogona".  Very simple pattern that is just repetitive enough to not have to look at the pattern constantly.  I'm using the lovely Mountain Colors Bearfoot yarn that my friend Beth gave me for Christmas.  60% merino wool, 25% mohair, 15% nylon.  I've never knit with mohair before, and I'm not sure how my skin will like it, but I'm loving how it knits up!

Another thing I did yesterday was count up the hexipuffs I made last year.  I threw them into  a basket and just smiled as I looked at all the colorful, squishy puffs!  How many do you think are in here?  (answer below)

77 total!  Not enough for a quilt yet, but it does renew my motivation to make more!  







No comments:

Post a Comment