Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My first time at the UVFF

The Upper Valley Fiber Festival (UVFF) was today.  My friend Catherine accompanied me on the 40 min trip North to Troy, OH.  It was a dreary morning for a drive, but the lovely company made the trip go very quickly.

The UVFF was held at the fairgrounds in one building; a very small event.  As we began perusing the tables, I was a little sad at the lack of roving, other than alpaca and anogra.  The yarn selection was a bit slim too.  Though once we walked to the end of the building, turned, and went down the other aisle, I became much more interested in what I saw.  Beautiful sock yarns on sale, merino/silk roving, undyed yarns, the things I had been hoping to find at this event.   

Bit blurry as I was walking and using my iPhone.  But just one of the yarn booths at the festival.

Beautiful shawl that Elizabeth bought yarn for.  Japanese Waves shawl which is a free pattern on Ravelry.

In this picture, you can see some different looms and spinning wheels at the festival.
I made some purchases, and in an hour and a half, we were done with the festival and ready for lunch with our friend, Elizabeth, who was already there at the festival working at the Miami Valley Knitting Guild table teaching people how to knit.  We carpooled our way to "downtown" Troy to go to the Caroline restaurant.  Unfortunately, it was not open at that time, so we will have to make another trip to try it in the future.  There was, however, a bakehouse open and hopping!  We took the last table there and settled in for lunch, knitting, and chatting.  

Elizabeth helped me get started on a toe up sock using double pointed needles.  One of my goals for this year was to make socks in this way, I've been having a terrible time getting started.  Thankfully, Elizabeth had the skills to get me going and I was able to knit a few inches while there.  


After lunch, we parted ways with Elizabeth, and Catherine and I decided to check out Tipp City, OH, which was only a 10 minute drive away.  We were hoping to check out a yarn and fiber store there, but when we did find it, it was closed.  We walked around and went into one cute shop there, where I helped Catherine find a very cute purse.  

We had a great time and enjoyed a fiber festival event day.  Now to plan what colors will be going onto these luscious fibers and yarns!

Here are some pics of my loot...

 ON Live Supersocke 100 self striping yarn.  Don't you just love the colors?  This comes from The Yarn Shop in Columbus, OH.


These fluffy clouds of merino & silk were too soft and lovely to pass up.  

This merino/nylon sock yarn was too yummy to pass up too.  The above roving and this yarn come from Sheepish Creations.  


No comments:

Post a Comment