Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Beret in less than 3 Days


















It has been a while since I've knitted a beret.  I started knitting berets when I lived in France (2008-2009), and since then, I've knitted a few for friends, family, and myself.  I have a beret that I knitted in France that I wear almost every time I go out in the winter.  Now that I'm spinning my own yarn, I wanted to knit up a new beret with my hand-spun yarn.

My "Blue Lagoon of Beavercreek" yarn called to me to become a beret.  I began pattern searching on Ravelry, which can take quite a bit of time.  There are so many pattern to go through to find  just the right one.  I wanted something a bit different than the one's I've done in the past, and something that would fit the yarn requirements of my hand-spun.  Voila!  I found Elfunny Beret by FadenStille.  This pattern was fairly easy.  It does have a chart, and I'm usually not fond of charts, but this one was easy to memorize as I went through the rows.  It also helped to use stitch markers to section out the 12 stitch repeats so that I could easily find, and fix mistakes as I went.  If you do this pattern, be careful with the yarn overs near the stitch markers.  They can slip from one of a stitch marker to the other, and cause your count to be off.  

I used size 5 and size 7 interchangeable needles with 16" cord.  

I was able to knit this up in less than 3 days.  To block it, I put it over a dinner plate to dry.  I highly recommend blocking berets on dinner plates, because it really helps to stretch out and show your pattern better.

So happy with how this turned out!  The yarn was perfect for this pattern!  I only used 149.94 yards of my yarn on this.  The colors swirl perfectly all the way to the top.  

From this....

To THIS!  :)

My "Blue Lagoon Swirl Beret"!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this beret in person! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the pics on Ravelry, so stunning .....and own yarn too.

    ReplyDelete